Alright, we’re about due for a Helen update, aren’t we?
She’s about 5 1/2 months old now. Oh yes. I’m one of THOSE moms that give the age of their baby in half (or quarter) months. :D
Prepare yourself for a boatload of photos.
Around four months old, I started to teach her to sit up on her own. It was funny to watch her wobble and tip (don’t worry, I caught her). See THIS video.
She puts everything she can get her hands on into her mouth.
She loves to be outside and play in the grass.
She likes bath time again! I think it’s because she can sit up in the water now and doesn’t feel so helpless.
Speaking of which, she can sit up by herself really well now. When I started to set her in front of the mirrors in our bedroom she was actually interested in sitting upright. She still topples over sometimes (much to her dismay), but she usually stays upright for quite a while.
Wearing Dad’s new hat. She loves to chew on plantain leaves.
Helen and cousin Susan were wearing the same diapers, so I had to get a picture.
Here are some of her other recent developments:
- She rolls easily from her tummy to her back and back to tummy (she first rolled over at 13 weeks).
- She’s on the move! If I set her on the rug, there’s no guarantee that she’ll be in the same spot when I look back — she scoots and rolls to get places.
- She can get up onto her hands and knees easily now. And she even does a plank sometimes. Next step – crawling!
- She’s in size 3 diapers and weighs in at 16 pounds.
- She’s down to about 3 naps per day and getting better at sleeping for longer stretches. I’m trying to ease her into sleeping in the crib at night.
- Still no teeth! But I’m pretty sure they’re working on popping out.
- She hasn’t had any solids yet, but I’m thinking about giving her a little taste soon – she’s pretty interested in food and looks longingly at whatever I eat.
It’s so nice that Helen can entertain herself for short periods of time now. But she is still quite a cranky baby. She just gets frustrated so easily! Do any of you have suggestions for fun activities for 6 month old babies? Most days we spend lots of time outside, but there’s only so many times I can play pattycake before going nuts…
All right, that’s all I have for now.